Sue Wintering LNCI Summit Video: Providing Opportunities to Get OutsideMarch 10, 2022
New Resource to Share: Environmental KinshipApril 19, 2022
As promised, once a week we will send out either a breakout group topic or one of the Storycorp-style videos to share with everyone. For the breakout group topics, we will start a discussion in our Facebook Group and if you have ideas to share, whether you were in that breakout group at the summit or not.
So please come join our Facebook Group and ask questions or share about the topic below:
Kids who don’t have access to safe space and transportation??
- Two classrooms from Columbus City Schools come to the Audubon 4 times per year
- Access to transportation is problematic
- Bus passes & bus stops
- Summer programs: Who has transportation to attend?
- EPA Office of Environmental Education: Grants can fund transportation
- Private donors
- Organize a carpool
- COTA to the Zoo
- COTA to programming?
- Safety is important
- “Walking school busses” ODOT – Increase transportation and safe routes to safe schools
- VLA (Virtual Learning Academy) bussing for field trips
- Environmental funding: play vs. education
- Science supplies and outdoor materials -> EPA
- Mental health benefits to families -> How?
- Education: reminders of programs/activities (texts)
- Exposure now to affect the future
- Invite families = extension & comfort
- Grandparent camps: get them involved
- Add environmental piece to places adults already have to go to, i.e., vaccinations, open house, community events
- What is Nature?
- How do we define it?
- Can we realistically do that activity?
- Adult lens vs. child lens
- 5-minute sit spots: guided questions, nature journal to write/draw in
- All feelings are appropriate
- Create detailed plans to explain what is going to happen and how to interact
- Social stories we want positive experiences
- Help parents to understand, too
- Gradual exposure
- Trauma-informed principles and being sensitive -> create safety
- Franklinton CycleWorks: incentive programs
- Develop a strategy to get bikes to kids
- School to outdoors… cycle training to teach how to map safe routes
- “Library card” to rent/borrow bikes -> helmet access
- Programs are inaccessible i.e., downtown
- Columbo Law: bike helmet giveaway
Nathan Zimovan, Jessica Bennett, Ryan Ingley, Brandon Morgan, Jill Snyder, Carolyn Watkins, Jessica Crook, Emily Kridel, Eloise Jobes, Kim Batts, Sierra Grant, Molly Jo Stanley