News: 2008 Forum on Nature Education for Young Children in NebraskaOctober 25, 2007
Summit Notes: Education – Does Nature Deficit Disorder Cause Children to Lack Basic Concepts in UnderstandingOctober 25, 2007
…And Creating “Connect-with-nature” gardens at schools and child care centers.
Participants: Amy Dutt, Noreen Warnock, Irene Lindelow, Brian Rutti, Lori Totman, Vicki Kohli, Colleen Sharkey, Matthew Minter, Manon Von Schoyck, Christa Hein, Sharon Tinianow, Sue Smith, Betsy Loeb.
1) There are school gardens in existence that allow kids unstructured play in nature:
– MRDD Marburn on Rudy Rd
– MRDD Johnstown
– Briar Rose Waldorf of Indianola
2) Teachers were involved in MRDD school ground creation through “dreamstorming” so there is buy-in. (Best to involve community, custodians, nutrition, etc.)
3) How to market what is possible and why it’s valuable. “TREE”
– garden tours
– ACCGA Training (American Community Gardening Association)
– Teacher professional development
4) Sources for Volunteer Labor:
– Master Gardeners
– Ohio Certified Volunteer Naturalist Program
– University Students
– High School
– Eagle Scout and Girl Scout Silver & Gold
– United Way Community Cares Day
Urban Wild Ltd.